27 April 2010

Security Blanket

In our contemporary lives we don’t often talk about courage unless great tragedy touches us. But it still exists in the very small things we do in our very small lives.

We also see the opposite, the ones that stay in dead end jobs, loveless relationships, and suffocating friendships. The ones that err on the side of caution, who dare not challenge the status quo, who sit within comfort in sometimes very uncomfortable situations.

It’s so tough to make changes, to actually put dreams into action; it’s so tough in fact that most of us never ever will. Because it’s so hard and it exposes you to the unknown and let’s be honest there is nothing scarier than the unknown. So maybe it is better to just do what we have always done, continue in our safe lives never asking for more that what is before us. Maybe it is normal to feel suffocated, to be held back, to feel frustrated, to feel comfortable in a very uncomfortable situation.

Even sitting here right now I can find hundreds of reasons why not to.
Change, achieve, change, move forward, change…

It’s too easy to stay the same
It’s too easy to stay and complain
It’s too easy to blame others for your failure
It’s too easy to be held back by your situation
It’s too easy to fall off the wagon
It’s too easy to die here

There are a few women in my life that have shown great courage in the last few weeks. Women that may not even be aware how big of a step they have taken. Women that have shown a rare courage by taking a big scary step towards a new beginning. One has taken her career by the horns and dared to ask for more and the other has left a great love and friendship that was holding her back.

It sounds like the simplest thing to do. Leaving a situation that was making you unhappy makes so much sense……on paper at least. Leaving behind the security, the certainty that only unhappiness can assure, walking away is anything but easy.

Besides if it was so easy more would dare to do it.

My fingers are crossed for both of you and now thanks to you I have some of my own dragons to slay.

“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”
John Wayne

1 comment:

  1. Hi Evee

    Have just spent the last little while reading through your blogs. Loved them. Hear a lot of myself in them however, because I am 51 now, I do come from a slightly different perspective.

    I have always written, mainly just for me. It gives me understanding and then I can move on. I have always had the ability to move forward in life. My accident taught me how easy I must have found life. No matter what I could cope with anything. And while I have found a way to continue along the same path I have realized that life is not always about everyone else. Sometimes it is just about me. I do matter!!

    I agree that everything happens for a reason.I recently wrote a letter to Damian about life in general at the request of his school. One of the things I wrote was that my car accident was the best thing that has ever happened to me because it gave me back my life. And it gave me back my children. I was so busy meeting Brads needs that I had forgotten about me and them. And Brad let me even after the accident.

    I feel blessed that I can now live my life again and be the person that moves forward through my life no matter what. That takes chances and doesn't worry about the consequences because I know I will be okay. Better than okay!

    Fantastic to hear that you are going back to university. You and Damian are so similar. Your eloquence, your love of animals and your compassion. I think of you often and hope your future is filled with love, laughter and fun. And that you can move forward with ease.

    Lots of love

    Christine

    ReplyDelete